Some of moderate to severe acne patients is suggested for taking Minocycline for acne by their dermatologist. If you are one of them, it is the right time to learn more about it. You may have discussed several aspects of Minocycline for acne efficacy and safety with your trusted dermatologist but it will be better if you also learn more about it from the authority site (visit Wikipedia for that purpose).
This article is trying to present things that you should know while taking Minocycline for healing your acne. First you should realize that antibiotics for acne must be combined with other acne treatments because antibiotics only help killing the bacteria so you need other acne solutions for healing your pimples and acne completely.
The Facts about Minocycline for Acne
Minocycline and Doxycycline are synthetic derivative forms of Tetracycline. People use Tetracycline for acne since the late years of 1940. Minocycline is the most expensive among other antibiotics in this class but usually people that do not achieve satisfied result after using antibiotic will get a better skin looks after taking Minocycline for acne dosage. Here are several important things about this antibiotic that you should know:
1) Usually you should take Minocycline once or twice daily for treating acne. Solodyn is the only one brand of Minocycline that is particularly approved as a once-daily tablet for treating moderate to severe acne.
2) It is effective for healing moderate or severe inflammatory acne, but it is not recommended for nodular acne vulgaris.
3) Common possible Minocycline for acne side effects are abdominal discomfort such as diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting. Dizziness is also frequent negative side effect of Minocycline. Bluish discoloration on mouth and gum or teeth may occur but rare.
4) Minocycline is not suitable for pregnant women, breastfeeding, and children under 10 years old.
How to Use Minocycline for Acne
Your doctor generally will give you the detail of how to take this antibiotic for treating acne properly. The explanation is usually including:
1) Common starting Minocycline for acne dose is 50-100 mg.
2) For the best absorption you are suggested to swallow the drug in empty stomach but fortunately Minocycline still can be absorbed quite well with food.
3) It is recommended to take Minocycline for 12 weeks for judging the efficacy of this drug for treating acne.
4) You should use plenty of water while taking this regimen. Tetracycline is forbidden to swallow with milk but you can take minocycline with milk even though it will cause slightly reduction of the absorption.
5) Taking probiotics supplement is also recommended to keep the balance of good bacteria inside your body because antibiotic will destroy bad and good bacteria.
6) Take your medication every day at the same time in order to keep the level of antibiotic in your bloodstream. It is important to produce the optimum result from antibiotic treatment.
7) The patients who take this medication should avoid direct sunlight exposure because some of them may be more sensitive to the sunlight.
At last, you should realize that there is no single antibiotic which works on all acne patients. Your friend may get clearer face when you did not find any difference after taking antibiotic medication. If this happens to you, please go back to your dermatologist after using Minocycline for acne for 12 weeks.